2 Şubat 2008 Cumartesi

language issues


I still haven't figured out how to place a clip from youtube on my blog page, so for now I provide the link to my favorite Hindi film's trailer.

The film is called Jab We Met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNQGunDx68&feature=related

I watched the film 3 times in the cinema while I was in Delhi last October. Would I watch it 3 times at 12 YTL per occasion I am not sure. But cinema is cheap in India, unlike Turkey.
So one can go to the cinema and watch the same film several times.

As I searched the web for a suitable trailer for the film I realized one major problem. The trailer I chose manages to express the films main storyline. It also contains a melody from the film. Other trailers had a englşsh song which has nothing to do with the film. This trailer also contains enough scenes where the Actors utter words in English for anyone who speaks English to be able to make some sense of what is going on. But this is entirely the problem: to appreciate and enjoy and have fun, one has to be able to understand what is being said, especially with a fast paced, conversation based film like Jab We Met.

It is true that many Hindi films are simple in storyline and they are obvious in their imagery. If the mother is praying for a light of hope, then a light literally turns on in the neighbor's house and so on. The audience doesn't have to use too much brain power to understand the message. There is very little subtelty or hinting. That is one of the features I love about good Hindi films. They don't beat about the bush!!

But there is a lot of coversation and a lot of reference to other Hindi films, or real life situations that Indians or Hindi filmophiles would recongnize but others just don't get. So this is going to be the main issue of difficulty at hand. There is a lack properly sub-titled Hindi film and music clips on the internet for me to use...

I have to start looking. Or inspiring everyone to learn the Hindi language.

Hiç yorum yok: